Whether you are involved in a Pinewood Derby® race through Cub Scouts or Boy Scouts, an Awana Grand Prix, or a similar race through Royal Rangers, Indian Guides, Christian Service Brigade, or another organization, Speed to the Finish! (formerly Car Construction Guidelines) version 14.0 provides all you need to know to turn your car design into a winner. The booklet provides you with:
- The key secrets to building a winning pinewood derby car
- Preparing the wheels and axles for top speed
- Proper car weighting
- The most complete list of speed tips available today
- Includes the popular Rail Riding alignment technique.
The fourteenth edition - updated for the 2016-2017 season - includes a new format, as well as additional speed tips.
The table of contents for Speed to the Finish! is shown here.
- TO THE ADULT
- CAR SPECIFICATIONS
- STEPS TO BUILDING A PINE DERBY CAR
- PREPARING AXLE SLOTS OR HOLES
- EXTENDING THE WHEELBASE
- FIVE KEYS TO SPEED
- KEY 1 - WEIGHTING THE CAR
- KEY 2 - AERODYNAMICS
- KEY 3 - PART 1 - WHEEL PREPARATION
- KEY 3 - PART 2 - AXLE PREPARATION
- KEY 4 - LUBRICATION
- KEY 5 - WHEEL ALIGNMENT
- CAR PAINTING/DECORATING TIPS
- ADDITIONAL SPEED TIPS
- TECHNIQUES TO AVOID
- TIME SCHEDULE
- TIME TRIALS
- SCIENCE BACKGROUND
- SPECIALTY TOOLS AND SUPPLIES
- ABOUT THE AUTHOR
To make sure you have all the information you need to build a winning car, select one of our Package Deals (a car plan booklet and Speed to the Finish!). And don't forget Weighting Material, Speed Supplies, and Decals.