Speed up your race inspection and make it consistent!
Our Car Inspection gauge will help you improve your race by providing a consistent and quick way to inspect each pinewood derby car. The laser-cut construction means that your organization can confidently use this gauge for years to come.
The Car Inspection gauge allows you to easily measure the following criteria:
- Car Dimensions - If the car fits fully inside the gauge (with the door inserted), then the car meets the standard dimension limits of:
- 2-3/4 inches maximum width,
- 7 inches maximum length,
- 1-3/4 inches minimum wheel spacing, and
- Underbody Clearance - If the bottom of the car clears the guide rail then the car meets the 3/8 inch minimum underbody clearance.
- Wheelbase Length - If your organization has restrictions on wheelbase length, you can mark those limits on the side of the gauge.
- Start Pin - Verifies that no part of the car extends past the starting pin.
"A quality car inspection gauge is critical for a smooth inspection process. It not only greatly speeds up the inspection, but it also applies the race rules without bias. Parents cannot argue if the car doesn't fit in the gauge."
The Inspection gauge is shipped unassembled. You will need white or yellow glue to permanently assemble the gauge.
Identify the parts - Lay out the parts similar to the photo.
Assemble Dowel and Sides - Insert the dowel pin, and glue the two side pieces in place. Make sure the short end of each sidepiece is on the same end as the dowel pin. For less mess, squeeze a small amount of glue into each slot in the base. Press the side into place, and wipe off any excess glue that comes out of the bottom of the slot.
Assemble Front Piece - Glue the front piece in place. Squeeze a small amount of glue into the front slot on each side piece, then insert the front piece. Wipe off any excess glue.
Note that the back piece is not glued in place, so that it can be removed and replaced with each car.