Remove Axles With Ease!
If you have built even one pinewood derby car, then you know that removing axles without damaging something can be quite a chore. Oftentimes, considerable force is required. If the force is applied to the wheel, then the wheel can be damaged, especially with the expensive, high-performance wheels in common use today. If a standard pair of pliers is used, the axle head can be chewed up.(1) In either case, the car itself may be damaged as well.
But now, Maximum Velocity's Axle Extraction Pliers will help you remove axles with minimal risk of damage. The curved and grooved jaws of the Axle Extraction Pliers provide strong but even gripping power on the axle head, minimizing damage to the axle, and giving maximum leverage to the user. Just grasp the axle head and gently remove the axle with a twist-and-pull motion.
The Axle Extraction Pliers are designed for use on nail and pin-type axles offered by BSA, MV, PineCar, RA's, and Awana. The pliers are not intended for use on screw-type axles (Royal Ranger/S&W) or on solid rod axles (PineCar).
To use the Axle Extraction Pliers follow the instructions below and please read the section at the end entitled "Important Notes".
(1) Also, standard pliers will not work with some wheel types, such as those offered by Awana and PineCar, because the jaws will not fit into the open space in the wheel. But our Axle Extraction Pliers work great with Awana and PineCar wheels.
Axle Extraction Pliers Usage Instructions
Grasp Axle Head
- Grasp the axle head with the pliers,
- Squeeze firmly,
- Gently twist and pull on the tool until the axle is removed.
- When extracting tight axles, the axles may be bent. Use care to pull the axles straight out of the block; avoid pulling at an angle.
- Use of the Axle Extraction Pliers may lightly scratch the outer edge of the axle head. Since most axle heads are tapered, this scarring will not affect the performance of the axle.
- The Axle Extraction Pliers can remove axles that are glued in place with white or yellow glue. However, if axles are glued into the car with epoxy (or similar), the epoxy must be softened or removed before extracting the axle.
"These Axle Extraction Pliers are custom-designed specifically for removing pinewood derby axles. They make removing axles a breeze even when the axles have been pressed in closer than the recommended gap setting! These pliers should be in everybody's pinewood derby tool box."