Tube-O-Lube graphite is a high carbon graphite that gives superior performance on the pinewood derby track. After extensive testing against other brands of graphite, we chose Tube-O-Lube as the top economy brand.
Apply Tube-O-Lube as follows:
- Fill the bore of the wheel with graphite.
- Insert an axle into the wheel bore.
- With one hand, firmly grasp the axle and hold the axle horizontal to the ground.
- With the other hand, spin the tire gently — don’t drop the axle. Spin the wheel ten times.
- Hold the axle with the wheel hanging towards the ground.
- Deposit some lube into the gap between the axle and wheel bore.
- Tap the wheel gently to help move the lube down into the wheel bore.
- Repeat steps 3 to 7, two more times.
- Finally, spin the wheel 10 times. Don’t add any more graphite after this point.
After performing this procedure the first time, keep the wheel/axle pairs together as a unit.
The chart below shows the result of racing one car with two different sets of wheels on a 35 foot track. One set of the wheels was lubricated with Hob-E-Lube, while the other set was lubricated with Tube-O-Lube. All other factors were the same. Each set of wheels was mounted on the car and raced twenty times.
Carbon Content – 95%
Particle Size – +325 Mesh (approx. 44 micron)
Quantity – 0.21 ounce